Covenant Presbyterian Church is a 62 year old church plant in Simsbury, CT (10 miles from Hartford). We deeply love Jesus and long for His Gospel to flourish in New England once again. Our residency will develop and train a pastor by serving with us for 18 months - 3 years and then leaving here to plant in New England. The planter will be integral in prayerfully choosing where to plant.
The Church Planting Resident’s role is to grow and lead in an atmosphere of the Gospel and Christian hope. The Church Planting Resident will help lead and serve in different areas and ministries for the time they live in Simsbury.
- Joyfully committed to the mission and vision of Covenant Presbyterian Church
- Ordained or ordain-able in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- MDIV from a reformed seminary
- 2-5 years of ministry experience
- Discipleship and Faithful Presence Ministries
- Organize and coordinate with discipleship ministries of CPC (Men’s ministry, small groups, women’s ministry, etc.)
- Co-lead (with the pastor and an elder) faithful presence ministries at CPC with a focus on the ones that will be part of the church plant. (FP is our umbrella term for local efforts of service and evangelism).
- Preaching and Teaching
- Preach on Sunday mornings once/month
- Serve periodically in Children’s Ministry, Youth Ministry, Sunday Morning worship (liturgy and/or music)
Experience and Awareness in Ministries
As the leader of a church plant, pastors must work with staff or volunteers to help develop and understand how to lead ministries. Experience in each ministry will help build awareness in the mind and heart of the
church planting resident to understand how each ministry functions and how to coach servants and leaders in each ministry.
The most important aspect of the church planting resident’s job is their friendship with Jesus. Guarding your heart and mind in Jesus is an essential component of the position, with the commitment to approach the pastor or an elder when sensing burnout or deep fatigue.
Within the first year of the residency, become ordained in the EPC or transfer into the Presbytery of the East.
How To Apply
Email Matt Blazer: In your email, tell us your story, why you are interested in the residency, and some good times to call you (1-2 pages). We will phone you to ask and answer questions, and if we both decide to proceed, will send you an application.